Amazing Pork Belly and Pea Risotto
I woke up wanting to write and I have a little time in between packing and taking care of Braedon. Plus, I am dreaming of the pork belly that I made for this recipe!
Braedon is just really enjoying himself in his playpen right now. It’s amazing how well he plays by himself. His favorite things are his balls, tambourine, and this cookie tin from Christmas. It’s funny that a baby’s favorite toy can be something that isn’t a toy at all.
I finished reading #Girlboss last night before bed. I enjoyed it so much! It really makes me want to push and strive to get this blog somewhere!
Sophia Amoruso basically tells us to just keep going, by doing what we do and not succumbing to everyone else. That’s a hard concept for me sometimes. I strive for perfection, but sometimes, perfection really isn’t there.
This weekend has been mostly packing. We move on Tuesday. I hate moving, I’m so afraid that it’s not going to be what I want it to be. But I am so happy that we will have a little more room for all of our stuff.
I pretty much gave away half of my clothes yesterday. I feel a little more free.
I haven’t cooked much the last couple of weeks, because I didn’t want to buy groceries before we move. Hopefully next week I can get back on course.
I do have an awesome Pork Belly and Pea Risotto for you today, though. I made it at the end of last week and pretty much ate all of it in one sitting.
Gareth was pretty much in heaven after eating it. Pork belly is one of his favorite things.
The belly was soft and buttery on the inside, but had a crisped edge that gave it the perfect texture. The risotto had a natural herb flavor, with a green onion, chive, and pea puree mixed in. The pearl onions and summer peas, were perfect for a little burst of flavor. And I topped it off with a homemade pork crackling from the skin of the belly I had bought.
If you read the blog, you might remember me getting this belly from Chinatown with one of my best friends. I cannot wait to go back and get more.
Slow Roasted Pork Belly and Pea Risotto
- lb- Pork Belly (Skinned)
- 2 tbs oil
- 1 Tbs Rosemary
- 1 Tbs Tarragon
- 2 Tbs Pepper
- 1/2 Tbs salt
- 2 Tbs Coriander
- 1/4 stick butter
- 1 cup arborio
- Approximately 2 Cups of Chicken stock
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen pearl onion
- 1/2 cup Chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup chopped chive
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup paresan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400F
- Chop Pork belly into about 5 pieces
- Dry belly and rub with oil
- Season each piece with the rosemary, tarragon, pepper, salt, and coriander
- Wrap with 1 piece of parchment paper and 2 pieces of foil
- Roast for about 4 hours
- Let rest for 30 minutes
- Save the juices in each packet
- Heat butter in medium sized pot
- Add in rice and sauté for about 5 minutes or until golden
- Slowly add in Chicken stock 1/4 cups at a time
- Blend 1 cup of frozen peas, green onion, chive, and white wine
- About 1/2 way through cooking the rice, add in the blended puree and the rest of the frozen peas and pear onions
- Add 1 Tbs of the fat from the pork belly
- Keep adding chicken stock until the rice is al dente
- Add in parmesean
- Heat 1 Tbs of pork fat in pan over medium high heat
- Crisp outside of belly and chop