Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meatballs
I’ve been doing research and I see so many people have problems with pasta in the Instant Pot. Especially when making something heavier like spaghetti. They get the dreaded burn message!
Well I’m here to give you a few tips and make your Instant Pot adventure easier!
First of all, if you are getting mushy noodles, the culprit is that you are submerging your noodles. In the Instant Pot (or any other pressure cooker), you do not have to submerge the pasta. The biggest reason is that they do not cook by boiling, but rather by the ‘steam’ from the pressure.
Your Instant Pot is 100% humidity when it is coming to pressure, if you have that and the water which is at a constant high boil, you overcook the noodle.
Next problem is, you did not deglaze your pot after sauteing your meat or vegetables. This is simple with just some wine or stock and scraping the good stuff off of the bottom. Do this every time that you saute something, you get a lot more flavor this way as well.
Your final problem is, you are not layering in the Instant Pot and are just mixing everything together.
In heavier pastas and dishes, always put the thin liquid on the bottom. I.E. any broth or water that you are using. Then you can stir in your seasoning, add in your vegetables and meat, and finish it off with the pasta on top.
By doing this you are preventing things from getting stuck on the bottom!
If you have any questions about any of this, please feel free to message me here or on my Instagram!
For now, I’ll give you foolproof Spaghetti and Meatball recipe!
(If you want a more mushy pasta, add 1 minute to pressure time. If you would like a more Al Dente pasta, subtract 1 minute to pressure time)
Spaghetti and Meatballs
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tbs garlic powder, split
- 1 tbs paprika, split
- ½ tsp chili pepper flakes, split
- 2 tbs dried oregano, split
- 2 tbs dried thyme, split
- 1 tbs dried rosemary, split
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- ¼ cup white wine
- 2 tbs worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbs tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 lb spaghetti noodles
- Salt and Pepper (I used 2 tbs salt, ½ tbs pepper
- Put oil into Instant Pot and put on Saute. When it says HOT, put in diced onions and brown them.
- While the onions are browning, combine beef, egg, parmesan, milk, panko, 1 tbs garlic, ½ tbs paprika, ¼ tsp chili flakes, ½ tbs oregano, ½ tbs thyme, ¼ tbs rosemary, 1 tbs salt, ½ tbs pepper. (Make sure you do not overwork your meat.) Form into uniformed balls. Place these into Instant Pot and brown each side for about 1 minute.
- Take off of saute, take meatballs out to rest for a moment, deglaze with white wine. Add in stock, tomato paste, worcestershire sauce, and the rest of the seasoning. Give a good stir. Add in tomatoes, followed by meatball, followed by pasta in a criss cross layer to prevent sticking. (At this point it is imperative that you do not stir.)
- Put on High Pressure for 8 minutes, Quick Release pressure at the end, and stir together.
- Taste test and adjust seasoning. Serve with crusty bread and parmesan
My streaming is still off because the kiddo is home and I’m waiting on a new microphone! Please bare with me for now, but go hit that follow button and turn on notifications to know when I am going to be around next!
I will also be doing a 30 day Instant Pot Blog Challenge starting next week! So join in the journey!
What is your favorite pasta dish? Answer down below!