I think I’ve finally decided how many parts that I am going to do of Andie Mitchell’s cookbook, Eating in the Middle. 7.
I’m usually scared of odd numbers, but the number 7 seems so satisfying for this one! So that means that there will be 4 more amazing recipes by this amazing cook after this one!
That’s super exciting to me!
I wasn’t sure how I would feel about this recipe, it’s a jerk shrimp salad with mango, avocado, and an apricot dressing.
Well, I loved it.
So did Braedon. He ate like 10 shrimp and got so excited about the salad that he almost choked himself putting it all into his mouth. *Disclaimer: read ‘almost’ and he is fine.*
The best part of this meal is that it took me about 15 minutes to make.
Tuesday was an especially bad day, I had 3 deliveries for food/groceries/home stuff. Braedon was being an absolute nightmare, I’m guessing it was growing day. And Amazon was very late with my order.
I had to get this meal out in like 25 minutes before Braedon went to bed.
I accomplished that!
Thank you Andie!
Jerk Shrimp Salad with Mango & Avocado
- 2 tsp packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 pounds large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 3 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbs fresh lime juice
- 2 tbs all fruit apricot preserves
- 1 large head romaine, choped
- 2/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 large carrots
- 1 large mango, peeled, pitted, and cut into stripps
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, cut into strips
- In a large bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, garlic powder, oregano, thyme, allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and cayenne. Add the shrimp and toss to coat well.
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the shrimp and cook, undisturbed, until browned on one side, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and cook until browned on teh other side and opaque throughout, about 2 more minutes. Transfer to plate.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the lime juice, apricot preserves, and the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the romaine, cilantro, carrots, and mango, and toss to coat.
- Divide the salad among 4 plates and top each with a quarter of the avocado and the shrimp.