Chicken Pot Pie
It’s been a weird week for us. We haven’t really gotten groceries in over a week, we’ve been just using what we have in the fridge to get rid of things. We do that every other month or so. It makes me realize how much we don’t really use during the weeks that I am meal planning.
I really enjoy meal planning and I am getting a lot better at using all of the ingredients that we have in different meals throughout the week. It is something that I have had to get used to!
I had to run to the grocery store today to get what I needed for the blog because I wanted to do something that I would have for Easter.
What do you usually eat for Easter?
One of the dishes that we usually have is a chicken pot pie. I know that this isn’t always normal for every family, but it is a great dish for us. It’s perfect, it is savory with bits of chicken and vegetable. Even the pickiest of eaters likes it.
I don’t know where the tradition came from, but I do know that I am glad that we have it.
I have been playing with the recipe for a few years now and I feel like I finally come up with something that is perfect.
The filling is creamier than most pot pies, but it makes it feel like it has a gravy to it and not just a sauce.
I also add a few herbs that I really like together. I feel like it gives the dish an earthy flavor and tastes absolutely delicious!
Chicken Pot Pie
- Pre-made Pie Crust
- 2 Tbs Olive Oil
- 2 Tbs Flour
- 1 onion diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 potatoes diced
- 4 celery stocks diced
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 Tbs sage
- 1/2 Tbs thyme
- 1/2 tbs dried rosemary
- 1 Tbs garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2lb chicken breast
- Preheat oven to 425
- In a medium sized skillet heat the oil, add onions and sauté until translucent
- Stir in flour until completely combined
- Add in milk and chicken stock slowly
- Stir in seasoning and add vegetables, bring to a simmer and cover
- In a large skillet, brown the chicken on each side for about 3 minutes each, take out and dice, stir into vegetable mixture
- Roll out your dough into 4 small pie pans or one large pie pan and ladle your filling in
- Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown
What do you like in your chicken pot pie?