Broccolini And Red Pepper Sandwich with Sriracha Aioli
When I was working at my last job, I started out as a vegetarian. This was weird because my last position was at a very meat-centric business, I mean meat was in their name. It was hard to eat something other than fries when I went to work, so I had to start getting creative.
My creativity reigned from some bomb egg sandwiches to taking what was on the menu and switching it up a bit.
I’m glad that I finally started eating meat when I was there because I don’t think that I would be able to grow as much as I can now.
But I still go back to the days that I was making something out of nothing.
Vegetarian sandwiches are usually boring and ho-hum. I mean, yes I can have a piece of bread with a lot of raw veggies on it, but what if I want something more?
I want a good sauce, cheese, and preferably something hot and steamy. I don’t know why, but hot sandwiches taste better.
Broccolini is definitely an underused ingredient. It is sweeter than broccoli and has an earthy taste. And when cooked right, it has a slight crunch which is something that I really like having in my sandwich.
I pair it with the slightly sweet red bell pepper to have an explosion of flavors.
The two pair nicely together and work to create an earthy sweet filling.
I top the filling with a nice smoked provolone and top it off with a spicy aioli.
Broccolini and Red Pepper Sandwich
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 lbs broccolini
- 2 Red Bell Peppers Sliced
- 1 tbs oregano
- 1/2 tbs thyme
- 1/2 tbs basil
- 1 tbs cajun seasoning
- 2 french bread sandwich rolls
- Smear of aioli (see next recipe)
- 2 slices smoked provolone
- In a medium cast iron skillet heat oil, add broccolini and cook for about 4 minutes
- Add seasoning and bell pepper and cook until bell pepper is soft (5-8 minutes)
- Place slices of provolone on top and melt
- Smear aioli on the bottom and top with the filling
- 2 tbs mayonaise
- 1/2 tbs sriracha
- 1/4 tsp ketchup
- 1/2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- Whisk all ingredients together
Although this is a vegetarian meal, the amount of flavor it gives you is just amazing. Perfect for your lunch or dinner.
Do you have a favorite sandwich?